Dr Shulei Chou
Office Location: AIIM P&D Facility / 213.D
Phone: +61 2 4298 1405
Senior Research Fellow: Institute for Superconducting & Electronic Materials
2010: PhD in Materials Engineering, University of Wollongong, Australia
2007: M.Sc. in Chemistry, Nankai University, P.R China
2003: B.Sc. in Chemistry, Nankai University, P.R China
- Energy storage systems and high energy batteries
- Novel nanostructured and composite materials
Research Funding (total funding: more than A$1 million)
- 2012 -2015, First CI, ARC linkage project LP120200432 ($270,000 + industry funding $105,600) Development of novel composite anode materials combined with new binders for high energy, high power and long life lithium-ion batteries
- 2014 -2017, Third CI, ARC Discovery project DP140100401 ($350,000) A novel hybrid electrochemical energy system for both high energy and high power
- 2011-2014, Second CI, ARC Discovery project DP110103909 ($270,000) A novel hybrid electrochemical energy system for both high energy and high power
- 2015-2016 Australian Academy of Science Research Visits to Japan ($6,700) Investigating the reaction mechanism for cathode materials in sodium ion battery
- 2015 AIIM Small Grant ($8,000) Low Cost and High Energy Cathode Materials for Sodium ion Battery
- 2014 UOW Small URC project ($8,000) Novel Anode Materials for Sodium Ion Battery to Store Renewable Energy
- 2013 UOW Small URC project ($8,500) Novel high energy density rechargeable lithium battery system using hybrid electrolyte
- 2012 France-Australia Science Innovation Collaboration Program ($10,000) Novel carbon materials for high energy supercapacitors
Scholarship and Awards
- 2014 Scopus Young Researcher Awards - Winner for Engineering & Techonology
- 2014 Vice-Chancellor Award for Emerging Researcher (Highly Commended)
- 2015 Australian Academy of Science Research Visits to Japan Award
- 2011-2014 Australian Research Council (ARC) Australian Postdoctoral (APD) Fellowship
- 2012 France-Australia Science Innovation Collaboration Program Early Career Fellowship
- 2012 International Society of Electrochemistry Travel Awards for Young Electrochemists
- 2010 Best PhD thesis award in Faculty of Engineering, University of Wollongong
- 2009 ECS Edward G. Weston Summer Fellowship from the Electrochemical Society. (5 summer fellowships worldwide per year) ($5000 USD)
- 2009 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad. ($5000 USD )
- Outstanding Research Award, ISEM, University of Wollongong, Jan 2010.
- Excellent Research Top Up Award, University of Wollongong, March 2009.
- 2008 Postgraduate Student Excellence Awards, ISEM, University of Wollongong
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, University of Wollongong, May 2007.
- University Postgraduate Allowance, University of Wollongong, May 2007.
75 journal papers and 1 book chapter, 42 papers as first author or corresponding author. including the top journal of Advanced Materials, Nano Letters, Chemistry of Materials, and Chemical Communications. Total citations is more than 2100 times with an H-index = 26 (from Scopus on 5 January 2015).
- W.J. Li$, S. L. Chou†, J. Z. Wang, J. H. Kim, H.K. Liu, S.X. Dou, “Sn4+xP3 @ amorphous Sn-P composite as anode for sodium-ion batteries with low cost, high capacity, long life, and superior rate capability" Adv. Mater. 2014, 26, 4037–4042. (IF: 13.877) (Cited times:4)
- W. J. Li$, S. L. Chou†, J. Z. Wang, H. K. Liu, .S. X. Dou, “Simply Mixed Commercial Red Phosphorus and Carbon Nanotube Composite with Exceptionally Reversible Sodium-Ion Storage” Nano Letters, 2013, 13(11), 5480-5484. (IF: 13.025) (Cited times:16)
- Y. X. Wang$, K. H. Seng, S. L. Chou†, J.Z. Wang, Z. Guo, D. Wexler, H. K. Liu, S. X. Dou, “Reversible sodium storage via conversion reaction of a MoS2–C composite” Chem. Commun., 2014,50, 10730-10733. (Cited times:3)
- Y. X. Wang$, S. L. Chou†, H. K. Liu, S. X. Dou, "Reduced graphene oxide with superior cycling stability and rate capability for sodium storage", Carbon, 2013, 57, 202-208. (Cited times:30) (IF: 5.868)
- S. L. Chou†, Y. Pan$, J.Z. Wang, H.K. Liu, S.X. Dou, "Small things make a big difference: Binder effects on the performance of Li and Na batteries" Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2014, 16(38), 20347-20359.
- S. L. Chou†, J.Z. Wang, H.K. Liu, S.X. Dou, “Rapid Synthesis of Li4Ti5O12 Microspheres as Anode Materials and its Binder Effect for Lithium-ion Battery”, J. Phys. Chem. C 2011, 115, 16220 (Cited times:86)
- S. L. Chou†, J.Z. Wang, D. Wexler, K. Konstantinov, C. Zhong, H.K. Liu, S.X. Dou, “High surface area α-Fe2O3/carbon nanocomposites for high performance lithium-ion batteries”, J. Mater. Chem. 2010, 20, 2092–2098 (Cited times:119) (As the inside front cover of the issue)
- S. L. Chou†, J.Z. Wang, M. Choucair, H.K. Liu, J. A. Stride, S.X. Dou, “Enhanced reversible lithium storage in nanosize silicon/graphene composite”, Electrochem. Commun. 2010, 12, 303-306. (Cited times:184) (Ranked as #8 in Top 25 most cited paper published in Electrochemistry Communications in year 2009-2010)
- S. L. Chou†, J.Z. Wang, J.Z. Sun, D. Wexler, M. Forsyth, H.K. Liu, D.R. MacFarlane, S.X. Dou, “High capacity, safety and enhanced cycleability of lithium metal battery using V2O5 nanomaterials cathode and room temperature ionic liquid electrolyte”, Chem. Mater. 2008, 20, 7044-7051. (Cited times:93)
- S. L. Chou†, J.Z. Wang, S.Y. Chew, H.K. Liu, S.X. Dou, “Electrodeposition of MnO2 nanowires on carbon nanotube paper as free-standing, flexible electrode for supercapacitors”, Electrochem. Commun. 2008, 10, 1724-1727. (Cited times:183) (Ranked as # 13 in Top 25 most cited paper published in Electrochemistry Communications in year 2008-2009)
(Publication list sourced via UOW database)
Distinguished Professor Shi Xue Dou
University of Wollongong
North Wollongong NSW 2500
Ph: +61 2 4221 5730