PhD Scholarship Advertisement
ISEM/AIIM, University of Wollongong
ISEM of the Australian Institute for Innovative Materials at University of Wollongong, invites the application of a PhD scholar to work on ARC Linkage project focusing on “exploration of lead free ferroelectric crystals for transducer applications”. Lead based ferroelectrics have been dominantly used in ultrasound transducers. However, the legislation worldwide to substitute lead based materials has been the driving force for lead free piezoelectric development. The proposed project aims to investigate lead free crystals, which are expected to possess high piezoelectric properties for medical imaging and underwater acoustics. The lead free compositions will be down-selected and solid-state conversion will be used to grow crystals, the properties in different engineered-domain configurations will be optimized. The research outputs will lay down a solid foundation for lead free crystal growth and transducer applications.
The ARC Linkage project is a collaboration between UOW and two industry partners, Thales Australia and Ceracomp, Korea. The student will have more chances to work together with local industry, where the engineers have diverse research backgrounds.
The following eligibility criteria apply to this project:
• The project is open to domestic candidates (only)
• The Research Higher Degree need be undertaken on a full-time/part-time basis
• Applicants should already have been awarded a First/second Class Honours degree or hold equivalence in an appropriate sector
• Applicants need be able to demonstrate strong research skills
• Candidates with material engineering background are encouraged to apply, knowledge and skills that will be ranked highly include: solid state sintering, functional ceramics and crystals.
Please send your Curriculum Vitae, a copy of your academic record and one page outline of your research skills to Prof. Zhang.
Please contact Prof. Shujun Zhang (email@example.com) for more information.