Professor Xiaolin Wang
Office Location: AIIM Facility / Room 139
Phone: +61 2 4221 5766
Fax: +61 2 4221 5731
Associate Director, Institute for Superconducting and Electronic Materials, Australia Institute for Innovative Materials, University of Wollongong
Node Leader, Theme Leader, ARC CoE in Future Low Energy Electronic Technology, UOW
Senior Professor, ARC Future Fellow (FT3), Group Leader, HPS, ISEM, AIIM, UOW
BSc (Physics, China), MSc (Physics, China), PhD (Materials Eng. UOW, 2000)
Professor (2008-2014), Associate Professor, Group leader, UOW (2006-2008), QEII Fellow, Group Leader, UOW (2005-2009), ARC APD Fellow, Group Leader, UOW (2002-2005), Associate Fellow, UOW (2000-2002), Visiting Scholar, Ohio State University (2004), Visiting fellow, NIMS, Japan (2003), Guest Research Scientist (1995-1996), Atomic Institute of Austrian Universities, Austria, Research Fellow (1993-1995), Johannes-Kepler-University, Austria
1) 2014.7-2018.7: ARC Future Fellow (Professorial level, Step 3)
2) 2015-2019: ARC QEII Fellow
3) 2003-2005: ARC APD Fellow
Successful grant applications as first named CI or Sole CI or CI
1. X.L. Wang (Node leader, CI), 2017-2024, “Future low energy electronic technology”, ARC Center $1,500,000
2. X.L. Wang, (leader CI), 2017-2019, “Atomically thin superconductors”, ARC Discovery project, $330,000
3. X.L. Wang (sole CI), 2014-2017,“Topological Electronic Materials”, ARC Future Fellowship, Step 3, $998,000
4. X.L. Wang (first named CI, leader): 2013-2015: ARC Discovery project ($440,000): Study of transport properties of spin and charge properties of topological insulators
5. X.L. Wang (CI), 2017-2019): Marsden Fund proposal (New Zealand Funding agency), 'Nanostructuring in iron-based wires for ultra-high current density'
6. X.L. Wang (second CI), 2014-2016: ARC DP ($420K) “Novel terahertz electronics, photonics and plasmonics in highmobility, low-dimensional electronic systems (HMLDES)”
7. X.L. Wang (first named CI, Leader): 2010-2013: ARC Discovery project ($550,000): Materials Science and superconductivity of the newly discovered superconductors
8. X.L. Wang (first named CI, Leader): 2009-2011: ARC Discovery Project ($390,000): Multiferroic materials
9. X.L. Wang (sole CI): 2005-2010 ARC QEII fellowship plus ARC Discovery project ($870,000): Exploration for new materials for spintronics
10. X.L. Wang (first named CI, Leader): 2006-2008: ARC Discovery Project ($330,000): “Development of novel ferroelectric magnetic materials for multi-functional applications"
11. X.L. Wang (first named CI, Leader): 2008-2010: ARC International Award ($49,000): “Mechanism and enhancement of supercurrent carrying ability in magnesium diboride superconductor"
12. X.L. Wang (second CI): 2008-2010: ARC Linkage Project ($247,000): "Novel methods for enhancing room temperature figure of merit of thermoelectric/thermionic materials for refrigeration applications".
13. X.L. Wang (first CI): 2011: ARC LIEF ($200,000) “$200,000 2011 A complete thermo-electric characterisation facility for exploration of novel materials and devices at high temperatures”
14. X.L. Wang (second CI): 2008: ARC LIEF grant ($100,000): “Transmission electron microscope-nanoindenter for nano-mechanical testing",
15. X.L. Wang (second CI): 2008: ARC LIEF grant ($340,000): "High field magnet for materials processing and characterisation", Linkage - Infrastructure (LIEF)
16. X.L. Wang (third CI): 2007: ARC LIEF grant ($400,000)
17. X.L. Wang (second CI): 2006-2008: ARC Linkage ($520,000)
18. X.L. Wang, (CI): ARC Linkage project: 2005-2007 ($360,000)
19. X.L. Wang (first named CI, Leader): ARC Linkage International Professorial fellowship 2005-2006: ($75,000)
20. X.L. Wang (first named CI, Leader): ARC Discovery 2003-2005: Fabrication, charge ordering, magnetoresistance, and polaron effects in nano-size and single crystals of novel transition metal perovskite oxides ($245,000)
21. X.L. Wang (sole CI, leader): ARC Discovery 2002-2004 + APD Fellowship): Enhancement and elucidation of flux pinning in doped Bi-Sr-Ca-Cu-O high temperature superconducting single crystals, ($187,118)
22. X.L. Wang (sole CI, leader): ARC Linkage 2002-2004: Fabrication of Magnesium Diboride (MgB2) thick films, ($67,635)
23. X.L. Wang (second CI): ARC Linkage 2002-2004: Fabrication and Characterisation of MgB2 Wires ($310,000)
24. X.L. Wang (third CI): ARC Systemic Infrastructure Initiative Grant (LIEF grant), 2002-2004
25. X.L. Wang (Associate Investigator) ARC Large Grant, 2001-2003
26. X.L. Wang (CI), LE120100035, 2012
27. X.L. Wang, (CI), 2013, LE130100109
28. X.L. Wang, (CI), 2014, LE140100033
29. X.L. Wang (CI), 2015, LE150100043
30. X.L. Wang (CI), 2015, LE150100060
PRIZES AND AWARDS
2017: Lee Hsun Research Award, Chinese Academy of Science
2017: Vice Chancellor’s VC Award: Research Excellence Award for Researcher of the year
2016: Best Poster Award of Symposium N. the IUMRS-ICEM2016
2015: Fellow of Australian Institute of Physics
2014-2017 Australian Research Council Future Fellow (FT3, Professorial level)
2014: EMCR Travel Award, Australian Academy of Science
2013: Poster award, Wagga Wagga Conference, Australia
2012: Vice-Chancellor’s Research Partnership Award (University of Wollongong)
2011: Australian Academy of Science Scientific travel award to Taiwan
2010: Visiting professorship, National Research Council of Taiwan to give invited Lectures/seminars
2005 Australian Research Council Queen Elizabeth II Fellow
2005: Certificates of “Highly Cited Articles” issued by “Web of Science”, Thomson ISI, USA;
2003: Australian Research Council Australian Postdoctoral Fellow
2003: Australian Academy of Science Scientific travel award to US
2000: Distinguished Young Researcher Travel Award, 6th International Conference on
Materials and Mechanisms of Superconductivity and High Temperature Superconductors (M2S-HTSC-VI), USA
1997: Materials Research Society (USA) and International Superconducting and Technology Center (Japan), International Workshop Award for unique spiral growth of Bi-based high temperature superconductors
Supervised more than 30 Phd and Mphil, plus more than 10 Academics staff
Journal Editors or Editorial members
Chief Guest Editor, Special issue on 2D spintronics, APL Materials, 2016
Associate Editor: Science Bulletin (former Chinese Science Bulletin)
Editorial Board Member: Scientific Report
Editorial Board Member: Journal of Graphene Spintronics and Nanostructures
ARC Assessor (2004-present)
Project Examiner for US Department of Energy
Project Examiner for Polish Academy of Science
Nature Communications, Physical Review Letters, Physical Review B, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Nano Letters, Advanced Materials, Advanced Functional Materials, ACS Nano. Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics, IEEE Transactions on Magnetism, Journal of Materials Research,
Superconductor Science and Technology, Physica C, Journal of Nanotechnology, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, and Journal of Electroceramics etc
Total publications of journal papers (up to 2017): >400
Citations of publications: > 11,000 times, H-index: >50 , 16 papers were cited more than 100 times.
X. L. Wang, “A proposal for a new class of materials: Spin gapless semiconductors”, Physical Review Letters 100, 156404 (2008).
X.L. Wang, Y. Du, S.X. Dou, and C. Zhang, “Room Temperature Giant and Linear Magnetoresistance in Topological Insulator Bi2Te3 Nanosheets”, Physical Review Letters, 108, 266806 (2012)
M. Veldhorst, M. Snelder, M. Hoek, T. Gang, X.L. Wang, V.K. Guduru, U. eitler,W.G. v.d. Wiel, A.A. Golubov, H. Hilgenkamp, and A. Brinkman, “Josephson supercurrent through a topological insulator surface state”, Nature Materials, 11, 417 (2012)
Z. Chen, X.L. Wang, S. P. Ringer and X. Liao," Manipulation of Nanoscale Domain Switching Using an Electron Beam with Omnidirectional Electric Field Distribution " Physical Review Letters 117 (2), 027601 (2016).
Z Yu, FF Yun, X.L Wang, “A novel liquid metal patterning technique: voltage induced non-contact electrochemical lithography at room temperature”, Materials Horizons 5 (1), 36-40
D. L. Cortie, T. Buck, M. H. Dehn, V. L. Karner, R. F. Kiefl, C. D. P. Levy, R. M. L. McFadden, G. D. Morris, I. McKenzie, M. R. Pearson, X. L. Wang and W. A. MacFarlane," β-NMR Investigation of the Depth-Dependent Magnetic Properties of an Antiferromagnetic Surface " Physical Review Letters 116 (10), 106103 (2016).
Z. Yue, B. Cai, L. Wang, X. Wang and M. Gu, " Intrinsically core-shell plasmonic dielectric nanostructures with ultrahigh refractive index "Science Advances 2 (3) (2016).
Y. Du, J. Zhuang, J. Wang, Z. Li, H. Liu, J. Zhao, X. Xu, H. Feng, L. Chen, K. Wu, X. Wang and S. X. Dou," Quasi-freestanding epitaxial silicene on Ag(111) by oxygen intercalation " Science Advances 2 (7) (2016).
W. K. Yeoh, B. Gault, X. Y. Cui, C. Zhu, M. P. Moody, L. Li, R. K. Zheng, W. X. Li, X. L. Wang, S. X. Dou, G. L. Sun, C. T. Lin and S. P. Ringer , “Direct Observation of Local Potassium Variation and Its Correlation to Electronic Inhomogeneity in Ba1-xKxFe2As2 Pnictide” Phys Rev Lett 106 (24), 247002 (2011).
S. X. Dou, O. Shcherbakova, W. K. Yoeh, J. H. Kim, S. Soltanian, X. L. Wang, C. Senatore, R. Flukiger, M. Dhalle, O. Husnjak, and E. Babic, “Mechanism of enhancement in electromagnetic properties of MgB2 by nano SiC doping”, Physical Review Letters 98, 097002 (2007).
X.L. Wang, R. Ghorbani, G. Peleckis, S. X. Dou, “Very high upper critical field and superior Jc-field dependence in NdFeAsO0.18Fe0.12”, Advanced Materials 21(2), 236 – 239 (2009).
Li-Qiang Liu , Xiao-Lin Wang, Min Jing , Shu-Guo Zhang , Guo-Ying Zhang , Shi-Xue Dou , and Gang Wang, “Broadband and Omnidirectional, Nearly zero reflective Photovoltaic Glass”, Advanced Materials, 24, 6318 (2012)
X. L. Wang, et al, “Colossal Electroresistance and Giant Magnetorsistance in Doped PbPdO2 Thin Films” Advanced Materials 21, 2125 (2009).
Y Chen, Q Zhou, G Zhao, Z Yu, X Wang, SX Dou, W Sun, “Electrochemically Inert g‐C3N4 Promotes Water Oxidation Catalysis” Advanced Functional Materials 28 (5), 1705583 (2017)
T. Matsumoto, R. Ishikawa, T. Tohei, H. Kimura, Q. Yao, H. Zhao, X.L. Wang, D. Chen, Z. Cheng, N. Shibata and Y. Ikuhara , “Multivariate Statistical Characterization of Charged and Uncharged Domain Walls in Multiferroic Hexagonal YMnO3 Single Crystal Visualized by a Spherical Aberration-Corrected STEM” Nano Letters 13 (10), 4594-4601 (2013)
Lanling Zhao, Sheik Md Kazi Nazrul Islam, Jun Wang, David L Cortie, Xungai Wang, Zhenxiang Cheng, Jiyang Wang, Ning Ye, Shixue Dou, Xun Shi, Lidong Chen, G Jeffrey Snyder, Xiaolin Wang, “Significant enhancement of figure-of-merit in carbon-reinforced Cu2Se nanocrystalline solids” Nano Energy 41, 164-171 (2017)
XL Wang, “Dirac spin-gapless semiconductors: promising platforms for massless and dissipationless spintronics and new (quantum) anomalous spin Hall effects” National Science Review 4 (2), 252-257
Z Yu, FF Yun, Y Wang, L Yao, S Dou, K Liu, L Jiang, X.L. Wang, “Desert Beetle‐Inspired Superwettable Patterned Surfaces for Water Harvesting”, Small 13 (36) (2017)
B Shabbir, H Huang, C Yao, Y Ma, S Dou, TH Johansen, H Hosono, S.X. Dou and X.L. Wang, “Evidence for superior current carrying capability of iron pnictide tapes under hydrostatic pressure”, Physical Review Materials 1 (4), 044805
P. Jood, R. J. Mehta, Y. Zhang, G. Peleckis, X. Wang, R. W. Siegel, T. Borca-Tasciuc, S. X. Dou and G.Ramanath , “Al-Doped Zinc Oxide Nanocomposites with Enhanced Thermoelectric Properties” Nano Letters 11 (10), 4337-4342 (2011). [IF=13.592]
X.-L. Wang, S. X. Dou and C. Zhang, [Review Article], “Zero-gap materials for future spintronics, electronics and optics” Nature Publishing Group: Asia Materials 2, 31-38 (2010).
X.L. Wang, S. X. Dou, M. S. A. Hossain, Z. X. Cheng, X. Z. Liao, S. R. Ghorbani, Q. W. Yao, J. H. Kim and T. Silver, “Enhancement of the in-field Jc of MgB2 via SiCl4 doping”, Physical Review B 81, (2010) 224514.
Z. Li, L. Cheng, Q. Sun, Z. Zhu, M. J. Riley, M. Aljada, Z. Cheng, X. L. Wang, G. R. Hanson, , Qiao, S. Smith, C. Sean, and G. Q. Lu, “Diluted Magnetic Semiconductor Nanowires Prepared by Solution-Liquid-Solid Method”, Angewandte Chemie 49, 2777 (2010).
F.-X. Xiang, X.-L. Wang, M. Veldhorst, S.-X. Dou and M. S. Fuhrer, “Observation of topological transition of Fermi surface from a spindle torus to a torus in bulk Rashba spin-split BiTeCl” Physical Review B 92 (3), 035123 (2015). 12 pages
S. J. Callori, S. Hu, J. Bertinshaw, Z. J. Yue, S. Danilkin, X. L. Wang, V. Nagarajan, F. Klose, J. Seidel and C.Ulrich , “Strain-induced magnetic phase transition in SrCoO3-δ thin films” Physical Review B 91 (14), 140405 (2015).
J. Zhuang, X. Xu, Y. Du, K. Wu, L. Chen, W. Hao, J. Wang, W. K. Yeoh, X. Wang and S. X. Dou , “Investigation of electron-phonon coupling in epitaxial silicene by in situ Raman spectroscopy” Physical Review B 91 (16), 161409 (2015).
J. Bertinshaw, D. L. Cortie, Z. X. Cheng, M. Avdeev, A. J. Studer, F. Klose, C. Ulrich and X. L. Wang , “Spin- cycloid instability as the origin of weak ferromagnetism in the disordered perovskite Bi0.8La0.2Fe0.5Mn0.5O3” Physical Review B 89 (14), 144422 (2014).
D. L. Cortie, J. D. Brown, S. Brück, T. Saerbeck, J. P. Evans, H. Fritzsche, X. L. Wang, J. E. Downes and F. Klose, “Intrinsic reduction of the ordered 4f magnetic moments in semiconducting rare-earth nitride thin films: DyN, ErN, and HoN” Physical Review B 89 (6), 064424 (2014).
D. L. Cortie, K. W. Lin, C. Shueh, H. F. Hsu, X. L. Wang, M. James, H. Fritzsche, S. Brück and F. Klose , “Exchange bias in a nanocrystalline hematite/permalloy thin film investigated with polarized neutron reflectometry” Physical Review B 86 (5), 054408 (2012).
K. H. Müller, S. K. H. Lam, X. L. Wang and S. X. Dou , “Dynamics of flux-line bundles and voltage-current characteristics in a Ba(K)Fe2As2 single crystal” Physical Review B 85 (22), 224516 (2012).
Z. J. Yue, C. B. Zhu, S. X. Dou and X. L. Wang , “Observation of field-induced polarization of valleys in p-type Sb2Te3 single crystals” Physical Review B 86 (19), 195120 (2012).
X.L. Wang, S. R. Ghorbani, S.-I. Lee, S.X. Dou, C. T. Lin, T.H. Johansen, K.-H. Müller, Z. X. Cheng, G. Peleckis, M. Shabazi, A. J. Qviller, V. V. Yurchenko, G.L. Sun, D.L. Sun, “Very strong intrinsic flux pinning and vortex avalanches in (Ba,K)Fe2As2 superconducting single crystals”, Physical Review B 82, 024525 (2010)
Z.X.. Cheng, X.L. Wang, S.X. Dou, H. Kimura, K. Ozawa,”Improved ferroelectric properties in multiferroic BiFeO3 thin films through La and Nb codoping. Physical Review B, 77(9), 092101 (2008)