A/Prof Shulei Chou
Office Location: AIIM P&D Facility / 213.D
Phone: +61 2 4298 1405
Associate Professor: Institute for Superconducting & Electronic Materials
2010: PhD in Materials Engineering, University of Wollongong, Australia
2007: M.Sc. in Chemistry, Nankai University, P.R China
2003: B.Sc. in Chemistry, Nankai University, P.R China
- Energy storage systems and high energy batteries
- Novel nanostructured and composite materials
Research Funding (total funding: more than A$1 million)
- 2012 -2015, First CI, ARC linkage project LP120200432 ($270,000 + industry funding $105,600) Development of novel composite anode materials combined with new binders for high energy, high power and long life lithium-ion batteries
- 2014 -2017, Third CI, ARC Discovery project DP140100401 ($350,000) A novel hybrid electrochemical energy system for both high energy and high power
- 2011-2014, Second CI, ARC Discovery project DP110103909 ($270,000) A novel hybrid electrochemical energy system for both high energy and high power
- 2015-2016 Australian Academy of Science Research Visits to Japan ($6,700) Investigating the reaction mechanism for cathode materials in sodium ion battery
- 2015 AIIM Small Grant ($8,000) Low Cost and High Energy Cathode Materials for Sodium ion Battery
- 2014 UOW Small URC project ($8,000) Novel Anode Materials for Sodium Ion Battery to Store Renewable Energy
- 2013 UOW Small URC project ($8,500) Novel high energy density rechargeable lithium battery system using hybrid electrolyte
- 2012 France-Australia Science Innovation Collaboration Program ($10,000) Novel carbon materials for high energy supercapacitors
Scholarship and Awards
- 2014 Scopus Young Researcher Awards - Winner for Engineering & Techonology
- 2014 Vice-Chancellor Award for Emerging Researcher (Highly Commended)
- 2015 Australian Academy of Science Research Visits to Japan Award
- 2011-2014 Australian Research Council (ARC) Australian Postdoctoral (APD) Fellowship
- 2012 France-Australia Science Innovation Collaboration Program Early Career Fellowship
- 2012 International Society of Electrochemistry Travel Awards for Young Electrochemists
- 2010 Best PhD thesis award in Faculty of Engineering, University of Wollongong
- 2009 ECS Edward G. Weston Summer Fellowship from the Electrochemical Society. (5 summer fellowships worldwide per year) ($5000 USD)
- 2009 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad. ($5000 USD )
- Outstanding Research Award, ISEM, University of Wollongong, Jan 2010.
- Excellent Research Top Up Award, University of Wollongong, March 2009.
- 2008 Postgraduate Student Excellence Awards, ISEM, University of Wollongong
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, University of Wollongong, May 2007.
- University Postgraduate Allowance, University of Wollongong, May 2007.
160 journal papers and 2 book chapter, including the top journal of Science, Nature Communications, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Advanced Materials, Nano Letters, and Advanced Energy Materials. Total citations is more than 6300 times with an H-index = 41 (from Web of Science on 12 April 2018).
• Y. Shen, W. Zhang, S.L. Chou, S. X. Dou, Comment on “Cycling Li-O2 batteries via LiOH formation and decomposition” Science 2016, 352(6286) 667. (Cited times: 1) (IF: 34.661)
• Y. X. Wang, J. Yang, W. Lai, S.L. Chou, Q. F. Gu, H. K. Liu, D. Zhao, S. X. Dou, Achieving High-Performance Room-Temperature Sodium-Sulfur Batteries With S@Interconnected Mesoporous Carbon Hollow Nanospheres. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138 (51), 16576-16579. (IF: 13.038)
• Y.X. Wang$, J.P. Yang, S.L. Chou, H. K. Liu, W.X. Zhang, D.Y. Zhao*, S. X. Dou, “Uniform yolk-shell FeS@C nanospheres for superior sodium/iron sulphide batteries with ultrahigh energy density” Nature Communications, 2015 6, 8689. (IF: 11.47)
• W.B. Luo$, X.W. Gao$, S.L. Chou, J.Z. Wang, H.K. Liu, “Porous AgPd-Pd composite nanotubes as highly efficient electrocatalyst for the lithium-oxygen battery” Adv. Mater. 2015 27, 6862, 6869. (IF: 17.493)
• M.Z. Chen, L. Chen, Z. Hu, Q.N. Liu, B.Z. Zhang, Y.X. Hu, Q.F. Gu, J.L. Wang, L.Z. Wang, X.D. Guo, * S.L. Chou, S.X. Dou, “Carbon Coated Na3.32Fe2.34(P2O7)2 Cathode Material for High-rate and Long-life Sodium-ion Batteries” Adv. Mater. 2017, 29(21), 1605535. (IF: 18.960)
• Z.X. Tai, C. M. Subram, S.L. Chou, L.N. Chen, H.K. Liu, S. X. Dou, “Few-atom layers lithium cathode materials to achieve ultra-high rate capability” Adv. Mater. 2017, 29(34),
1700605. (IF: 18.960)
• Z. Hu, Q.N. Liu, S.L. Chou, S. X. Dou, “Advances and Challenges in Metal Sulfides/Selenides for next generation rechargeable sodium-ion batteries”, Adv. Mater. 2017, 29(48), 1700606. (Cited times:2) (IF: 18.960)
• S.L. Chou, S.X. Dou, Adv. Mater., "Next-Generation Batteries", 2017, 29(48), 1705871.
• W.J. Li$, S.L. Chou, J. Z. Wang, J. H. Kim, H.K. Liu, S.X. Dou, “Sn4+xP3 @ amorphous Sn-P composite as anode for sodium-ion batteries with low cost, high capacity, long life, and superior rate capability" Adv. Mater. 2014, 26, 4037–4042. (IF: 17.493) (Cited times:50)
• W.J. Li$, S.L. Chou, J.Z. Wang, H.K. Liu, S.X. Dou, “Simply Mixed Commercial Red Phosphorus and Carbon Nanotube Composite with Exceptionally Reversible Sodium-Ion Storage” Nano Letters, 2013, 13(11), 5480-5484. (Cited times:63) (IF: 13.592)
(Publication list sourced via UOW database)