Professor Shujun Zhang
Office Locations: AIIM Facility /Room 137
Phone: +61 2 4298 1479
Professor: Institute for Superconducting & Electronic Materials, Australian Institute of Innovative Materials (ARC Future Fellow)
2000: Ph.D (Materials Engineering), Shandong University, China
ACADEMIC, RESEARCH & PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES
2015.9 - Present Professor, ISEM, AIIM, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia
2014. 7 - 2015.9 Professor, Materials Science and Engineering Department
Senior Scientist, Materials Research Institute, Penn State University, US.
2010. 7 - 2014. 6 Associate Professor, Materials Science and Engineering Department
Senior Research Associate, Materials Research Institute, Penn State.
2007.7 - 2010. 6 Assistant Professor, MatSE Dept., Pennsylvania State University, USA
2004.11 - 2010. 6 Research Associate, MRI, Pennsylvania State University, USA
2000.7 - 2004.10 Postdoctoral Scholar, Pennsylvania State University, USA
1. Ceramic fabrication and single crystal growth.
2. Composite fabrication and 3D printing, flexible functional materials.
3. Material characterization and device prototype demonstration.
4. Relaxor based ferroelectric and multiferroic materials.
5. Dielectric materials for energy storage.
6. Piezoelectric/pyroelectric materials for energy harvesting.
7. Piezoelectric/ferroelectric materials for transducers & sensors.
8. Electrocaloric materials for solid cooling.
9. Flexoelectric materials (scaling effect) for sensing application.
10. Piezoelectric materials under harsh environments (ultrahigh and cryogenic temperatures, radiation hard, low pO2, etc.).
11. “Hard” ferroelectric materials for high power transducers.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF EXPERTISE
Shujun Zhang received Ph.D. from Shandong University, China, in 2000. He is Professor at ISEM, Australian Institute of Innovative Materials, University of Wollongong, Australia. Prior to which, he was Senior Scientist at Materials Research Institute and Professor at Materials Science and Engineering Department of The Pennsylvania State University. He is associate editor for IEEE Transaction Ultrasound, Ferroelectric and Frequency Control, Journal of the American Ceramic Society and Journal of Electronic Materials. He is senior member of IEEE and member of ACerS, he is the elected AdCom member of IEEE- UFFC. He was a recipient of the Ferroelectrics Young Investigator Award of IEEE UFFC Society in 2011. He holds five patents and has authored/coauthored more than 360 papers in refereed journals, with SCI H index of 43. He is now focusing on the structure- property- performance relationship of high temperature and high performance dielectric/piezoelectric crystals and ceramics, for sensor and transducer applications and energy storage applications.
• 360+ publications in peer-reviewed journals
• H-index = 49 (Google Scholar)
• S. J. Zhang, S. Rhee, C. A. Randall, T. R. Shrout, “Dielectric and Piezoelectric Properties of High Curie Temperature Single Crystals in the Pb(Yb1/2Nb1/2)O3-xPbTiO3 Solid Solution Series,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 41 (2002) 722. [Report on the growth of PYN-PT crystals with high Curie temperature]
• S. J. Zhang, C. A. Randall and T. R. Shrout, “High Curie temperature piezocrystals in the BiScO3-PbTiO3 perovskite system” Appl. Phys. Lett. 83, (2003) 3150. [First report on BSPT crystals with high Curie temperature]
• S. J. Zhang, R. Xia, L. Lebrun, D. Anderson and T. R. Shrout, “Piezoelectric materials for high power, high temperature applications”, Mater. Lett. 59 (2005) 3471. [Review on high power piezoelectric ceramics]
• S. J. Zhang, R. Eitel, C. A. Randall, T. R. Shrout, E. Alberta, “Manganese modified BSPT piezoelectric ceramic for high temperature shear mode sensor,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, (2005) 262904. [Report on the electrical resistivity enhancement in Mn modified BS-PT ceramics for sensor applications at elevated temperature]
• S. J. Zhang, R. Xia, T. R. Shrout, G. Z. Zang, J. F. Wang, “Piezoelectric properties in perovskite 0.948 (K0.5Na0.5)NbO3-0.052LiSbO3 lead-free ceramics,” J. Appl. Phys. 100 (2006) 104108. [Discussion on polymorphic phase boundary in lead free]
• S. J. Zhang, T. R. Shrout, H. Nagata, Y. Hiruma and T. Takenaka, “Piezoelectric properties in (K0.5Bi0.5)TiO3-(Na0.5Bi0.5)TiO3-BaTiO3 lead free ceramics,” IEEE Trans. Ultra. Ferro. Freq. Control., 54 (2007) 910-917. [Report on NBT based lead free]
• S. J. Zhang, R. Xia and T. R. Shrout, “Modified KNN based lead free piezoelectrics with broad temperature usage range,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 91 (2007) 132913. [Report on temperature stability of piezoelectric properties in modified KNN lead free]
• T. Shrout and S. Zhang, “Lead free piezoelectric ceramics: alternatives for PZT?” J. Electroceramics, 19 (2007) 113-126. [Invited review on lead free ceramics]
• S. J. Zhang, J. Luo, W. Hackenberger and T. R. Shrout, “Characterization of PIN-PMN-PT ferroelectric crystal with enhanced phase transition temperatures,” J. Appl. Phys. 104 (2008) 064106. [Report on ternary 2nd Generation relaxor-PT crystals]
• S. J. Zhang, Y. T. Fei, BHT Chai, E. Frantz, D. W. Snyder, X. N. Jiang and T. R. Shrout, “Characterization of piezoelectric single crystal YCOB for high temperature applications,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 92 (2008) 202905. [First report on oxyborate crystals for ultra-high temperature applications]
• Z. Cheng, A. Li, X. Wang, S. Dou, K. Ozawa, H. Kimura, S. J. Zhang and T. R. Shrout, “Structure, ferroelectric properties and magnetic properties of the La-doped bismuth ferrite,” J. Appl. Phys. 103 (2008) 07E507 [Report on multiferroic behavior of BF ceramics]
• S. J. Zhang, Y. Zheng, H. Kong, J. Xin, E. Frantz, T. Shrout, “Characterization of high temperature piezoelectric crystals with an ordered langasite structure” J. Appl. Phys. 105 (2009) 114107. [Report on ultra-high temperature piezocrystals with ordered langasite structure]
• S. J. Zhang, X. N. Jiang, M. Lapsley, P. Moses and T. R. Shrout, “Piezoelectric accelerometers for ultrahigh temperature application” Appl. Phys. Lett. 96 (2010) 013506. [First report on piezoelectric accelerometer functional at 950oC]
• F. P. Yu, S. J. Zhang, X. Zhao, D. Yuan, C. Wang and T. R. Shrout, “Characterization of neodymium calcium oxyborate piezoelectric crystals with monoclinic phase,” Crystal Growth & Design, 10 (2010) 1871-1877. [Report on ultra-high temperature oxyborate piezocrystals]
• F. Li, S. J. Zhang, Z. Xu, X. Wei, J. Luo and T. Shrout, “Temperature independent shear piezoelectric response in relaxor-PT based crystals,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 97, (2010) 252903. [Report on temperature independent property in relaxor-PT crystals]
• H. J. Lee, S. J. Zhang, J. Luo, F. Li and T. R. Shrout, “Thickness dependent properties of relaxor-PT piezoelectrics for ultrasonic transducers,” Advanced Functional Mater. 20 (2010) 3154-3162. [First report on the scaling effect in relaxor-PT crystals]
• S. J. Zhang and T. R. Shrout, “Relaxor-PT single crystals: Observations and developments,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferro. Freq. Control, 57 (2010) 2138-2146. [Review on the development of relaxor-PT single crystals]
• F. Li, S. J. Zhang, Z. Xu, X. Wei, T. R. Shrout, “Critical property in Relaxor-PT single crystals- shear piezoelectric response,” Adv. Functional Mater., 21 (2011) 2118-28. [Report on the mechanisms contributed to super high piezoelectric properties in relaxor-PT crystals]
• B. Xiong, H. Hao, S. Zhang, H. Liu, M. Cao, “Structure, dielectric properties and temperature stability of BT-BMT perovskite solid solution,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 94 (2011) 3412-3417. [Report on dielectric property of lead free ceramics with high resistivity]
• S. J. Zhang and F. P. Yu, “Piezoelectric materials for high temperature sensors,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 94  (2011) 3153-3170. [Invited feature article on high temperature piezoelectric materials]
• S. J. Zhang and F. Li, “High performance ferroelectric relaxor-PT single crystals: status and perspective,” J. Appl. Phys. (Appl. Phys. Review) 111, (2012) 031301. [Invited review on high performance Relaxor-PT crystals]
• X. Jiang, W. Huang, S. J. Zhang, “Flexoelectric nano-generator: Materials, structures and devices,” Nano Energy. 2, (2013) 1079-1092. [Invited review on flexoelectric materials]
• L. Jin, F. Li and S. J. Zhang, “Decoding the fingerprint of ferroelectric loops: comprehension of the material properties and structures,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 97, (2014) 1-27. [Invited feature article on ferroelectric materials and the characteristic loops]
• F. Li, L. Jin, Z. Xu and S. J. Zhang, “Electrostrictive effect in ferroelectrics: an alternative approach to improve piezoelectricity,” Appl. Phys. Rev. 1, (2014) 011103. [Invited review on electrostrictive effect in ferroelectric materials]
• J. Li, F. Li, Y. Zhuang, L. Jin, L. Wang, X. Wei, Z. Xu and S. J. Zhang, “Microstructure and dielectric properties of (Nb+In) co-doped rutile TiO2 ceramics,” J. Appl. Phys. 116, (2014) 074105. [Report on the grain boundary capacitance effect on the colossal dielectric permittivity of co-doped TiO2 ceramics]
• G. Liu, S. J. Zhang, W. H. Jiang and W. W. Cao, “Losses in ferroelectric materials,” Mater. Sci. & Engin. R: Report 89 (2015) 1-48 [Invited review on the loss in ferroelectric materials]
• J. L. Li, F. Li, Z. Xu and S. J. Zhang, “Evidences of grain boundary effect responsible for the colossal dielectric permittivity in (Nb+In) co-doped TiO2 ceramics,” Sci. Reports, 5 (2015) 8295. [Report on the grain boundary capacitance effect on the colossal dielectric permittivity of co-doped TiO2 ceramics]
• S. J. Zhang, F. Li, X. Jiang, J. Kim, J. Luo and X. Geng, “Advantages and challenges of relaxor-PbTiO3 ferroelectric crystals for electroacoustic transducers- A Review,” Prog. Mater. Sci. 68, (2015) 1-66. [Invited review on the current and potential applications of the high performance relaxor-PT crystals]
• Y. L. Qin, J. L. Zhang, W. Z. Yao, C. J. Lu and S. J. Zhang, “Domain configuration and thermal stability of (K0.48Na0.52)(Nb0.96Sb0.04)O3-Bi0.5(Na0.82K0.18)0.5ZrO3 piezoceramics with high d33 coefficient,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 8 (2016) 7257-7265. [Report on the domain configuration in NKN based lead free ceramics]
• N. N. Luo, S. J. Zhang, Q. Li, Q. F. Yan, Y. L. Zhang, J. Luo and T. R. Shrout, “Crystallographic dependence of internal bias in domain engineered Mn-doped relaxor-PT single crystals,” J. Mater. Chem. C, 4 (2016) 4568-4576. [Report on the mechanism and correlation between the internal bias and mechanical loss in relaxor-PT crystals]